Goldenrod Grange #114


The Golden Rod Grange #114 was formed in 1886. The mem-bers met in homes, in the Swanzey Town Hall, and the Antiquarian Hall at the Mt. Caesar Union Library.

           Prior to the library building being built in 1825, a store was erected on the Grange Hall site which was later incorporated into a hotel. The Central House hotel burned about 1900. From that point, Golden Rod members as well as the community, worked diligently to acquire this land to build their hall.  

          The Golden Rod Grange Hall in Swanzey was designed and constructed in 1916 specifically for Grange use. The building offers the amenities usually associated with Grange activities; a lodge room with a stage for dramatic presenta¬tions, a dining hall, which is adaptable for general meetings and a kitchen. The building was designed to reflect the  style of older Grange Halls and to harmonize with the architecture that surrounds it. It was well built and finished with details and materials typical of the early twentieth century.

    It remains in a remarkably original state of preserva¬tion, and makes an important visual and historical contribution to Swanzey's town center. Because it was designed for meetings, programs and social gatherings and was placed at the symbolic center of Swanzey; the Grange Hall could be adapted with little change or loss of historic character to serve as a community 

The Golden Rod Grange #114 was formed in 1886. The mem­bers met in homes, in the Swanzey Town Hall, and the Antiquarian Hall at the Mt. Caesar Union Library.

 

           Prior to the library building being built in 1825, a store was erected on the Grange Hall site which was later incorporated into a hotel. The Central House hotel burned about 1900. From that point, Golden Rod members as well as the community, worked diligently to acquire this land to build their hall. 

 

          The Golden Rod Grange Hall in Swanzey was designed and constructed in 1916 specifically for Grange use. The building offers the amenities usually associated with Grange activities; a lodge room with a stage for dramatic presenta­tions, a dining hall, which is adaptable for general meetings and a kitchen. The building was designed to reflect the  style of older Grange Halls and to harmonize with the architecture that surrounds it. It was well built and finished with details and materials typical of the early twentieth century.

 

    It remains in a remarkably original state of preserva­tion, and makes an important visual and historical contribution to Swanzey's town center. Because it was designed for meetings, programs and social gatherings and was placed at the symbolic center of Swanzey; the Grange Hall could be adapted with little change or loss of historic character to serve as a community center and to continue its traditional contribution to the social and intellectual life of the town.